Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

True Character

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
-- Thomas B. Macaulay



I just like this quote, it can really make you think about your actions to others. This is kept in the back of my mind when I'm out with the kids and I want to make sure they see me doing something good for others. It is the whole - be a good role model - idea!! But it also makes me feel good to brighten someone else's day.
I can remember my mother doing something so nice but meaningful for people she didn't even know. One day we met for lunch in her hospital cafeteria (she worked in a hospital laboratory for many years) and there was an older gentleman sitting alone many tables away coughing. It was the end of the lunch time crowd so there weren't many people eating. The man was having a hard time catching his breath, and seemed to have something caught in his throat. This went on for a short while when my mom stood up and brought the man a glass of water. That was all he needed to clear his throat. He was so thankful and it made quite an impression on me. I heard the gentleman coughing but never thought of helping him. My mother's true character was to help others! She had 5 kids and devoted her life to us and our father. She was stronger than I think I can ever be.
Do something today when no one is looking that makes someone else smile. It doesn't have to cost anything, even share a smile, make someone else feel just a little better today.
Have a good one.

Just saw this funny quote in an email, don't know who it is from:
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.



No comments: