Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Jelly Roll Quilt

I finally completed my first 'jelly roll' quilt!!  Yea ME!!  This is what a 'jelly roll' of fabric looks like.  It is a bunch of 2.5 inch strips of fabric in a roll.  The colors go well together and end up making a quilt topper.   

This was a bigger project than I expected!  Started off with a full size jelly roll and made the "front" (in my mind it is the front!) side of the quilt.  I saw this on YouTube and  got inspired to make my own.  I've seen the jelly rolls at Tuesday Morning and always wanted to make something out of it, but never had an idea of what to do with it, but now I've made my own EASY quilt!!  ...again YEA ME!!!

This is my daughter playing "Vanna" and displaying the front of the quilt.  The green border around the quilted strips is a $5.00, 200 thread count, twin size sheet from WalMart. I just sewed the quilt on top of the sheet.  Much easier than sewing a border around the sheet.  Phew, after I did that I felt like I saved a couple hours of measuring and pinning and sewing.    
You can see the green border much better in this view.



Alina is now chill-axing on the backside of the quilt!  She was exhausted after showing off the front of the quilt.  This part was a bunch of scraps sewed together to make a quilt for the back also.  It isn't exactly the picture I had in my head, but turned out pretty good.  The final touch that I wanted was a soft border around the entire quilt.  I wanted the same feeling I had when I was a kid, a smooth, satiny, soft trim around the blanky! 
I found some bright pink and brown satin at JoAnn Fabric. 
Both sides of the quilt were sewn around an old blanket that once belonged to my daughter.  It was a win-win situation for me, covered a blanket that would have otherwise been thrown out, and made a cozy "new" quilt for me to use on a cold winter day! 

No comments: