Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It Smells Like the Holidays

During the fall I like to make some "smelly" pine cones! I think they look nice in a bowl or basket on the table and to top it off they smell great.

Thanks to my next door neighbor I can pick up pine cones at no charge! After picking up the pine cones from our neighbor's front yard, I use an old and very small slow cooker to melt some wax, and/or old candles. Also add some extra fragrance (bought it at Michaels in the candle making section) these are pumpkin spice. They are red because the wax was from an old red candle whose wick seemed to have disappeared!

I like the wax a little built up on the cones, so they have to be dipped 3 or 4 times in the hot wax. After the first dip in the hot tub, I lower the slow cooker temp so the wax doesn't just melt away. The lower temp also makes the coating seem thicker too. To add extra fragrance just add a couple drops of liquid fragrance to the waxed pine cones. Or, just put some extra essence to a tissue and place at the bottom of your basket.

After the holidays or when they don't seem to be as fragrant, they can be used as a fire starter in the fireplace.

Thanks for looking. Have a great holiday season.

No comments: