Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2015

50 Cheers for 50 YEARS!!!

My bestie turned 50 this month and I wanted to do something special for her big day!!  So I made her a cake we could DRINK!!!!  I wanted to keep it!   We have been friends for more than 20 years and have had some wild days in our youth!!  This was the perfect cake for her!  

I'd like to say I came up with this idea myself, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on PINTEREST and filed it away in my brain and some how thought of it for her birthday.

It was pretty much a guessing game of how many cans of beer to get.  I bought a 36 cans of beer to start with and a bottle of wine.  Knowing the bottom layer was the biggest, I had to use the most cans there.  

I started with 21 cans of beer.  Seemed like a good number.  BUT, I forgot to keep in mind that I have a bum arm and can't lift much weight!!  21 cans of beer weighs A TON to me!!  FYI - if you need to transport the beer cake to a party it needs to be built in layers on trays.  And, on this picture you can see I forgot to add the cardboard circle under the cans - GRRRRrrr!!  From the picture of the final cake you can see that I cut out cardboard circles to support each layer and covered the circles with aluminum foil to make them look nice.  

The middle layer had 9 cans in it.  I added the cardboard in the middle so that one can wouldn't move around when transporting.  

 Finally the top layer had 6 cans and a large bottle of wine!!  I changed that later because I ended up buying some small bottles of wine as accents. 


  I added ribbon to each layer. 
And made some easy ribbons to decorate.  
Cute! 

Final cake!!!  The lifesavers on the table were supposed to be confetti!!!  

 Besties!!! 

It was a huge hit!!! She loved it. 

Thanks for looking, 
Have a great day 
Cathy

No comments: